Can an OFW Wife Be a Self-Employed SSS Member?

QUESTION from Chelle:

Can I be a Self-Employed SSS member? I don't have a job. I just receive remittance from my OFW husband every month.


Sad to say, you can't be a self-employed SSS member by just being an OFW wife. It's the non-working spouse of a locally employed SSS member who can apply as an SSS Non-Working-Spouse member. 

To be able to register as Self-Employed, get a job or start a business. You can open a sari-sari store, start a buy-and-sell business, or you can join direct marketing companies and sell beauty products, health products, clothes or footwear. You can also be a real estate agent or an insurance agent.

After getting your own business IDs or permits or after having sales receipts or sales commission receipts, bring at least 2 of these to SSS (photocopy and original) and your IDs, fill up an SSS RS-1 form, and present to the SSS officer. The officer will ask you questions about your source of income and the amount of your monthly income.

Remember to check the SSS Chart of Contributions, so you'll have an idea about different levels of monthly incomes and monthly contributions.

After your RS-1 form is approved, signed, stamped and dated by the SSS officer, you can pay your first monthly contribution at the SSS cashier counter.  For your next monthly contribution, you can pay at a Bayad Center or SM Business Center.

Keep your RS-1 form and your payment receipts, in case you need them in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Financial Cash Available Here From $3k to $1 million Are you looking for Financial Cash My company is giving out Cash to people looking for Financial Cash to

    stat new Life My offer is very fast and understanding We which the helpless people The opportunity to get back their happiness with good and understanding

    TERMS AND CONDITIONS Interested people should I'll
    advise contact us via email at
    Calling +918929490461
    whatspp Number +918929490461
    Mr Abdullah Ibrahim